This is the recipe I use to make my own protein bars or meal replacement bars. Anything you buy in the store just doesn’t compare.
These are the best tasting bars of any kind you will ever have in your life, plus, they are healthy.
They are all natural great-for-you ingredients, so long as you buy them that way. For example, I don’t use milk-based protein powder, I prefer the organic plant-based as it’s much better for you.
Here’s the recipe:
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a big metal bowl. (I use this one from Ikea):
Note 1: You can use 500g of Oats instead of using Almond & Flax seed meal. Those increase the cost / bar.
- Dump the wet ingredients on top of the dry in the big bowl:
- Mix everything together, very well. You’ll need a very strong potato masher to mix it. I use this one from Ikea. It will seem like you need more water, but you don’t. You don’t want it to be wet, it should be like play-doh. Maybe a little oily from the peanut butter, but dry otherwise… not too dry that it crumples apart into pieces, though.
- Lay down a piece of wax paper inside of a glass baking dish (something like this). Flatten it down, even it out. Lay down another piece of wax paper on top.
- Put it in the refrigerator for a while.
- Take it out, and dump it out upside down. Then cut it in to even sized bars roughly 100g each. I put them each into their own classic plastic sandwich bag so they don’t dry out in the refrigerator, and so I can grab one and go.
Note 2: This is a large recipe. You can cut everything in half exactly and have a more manageable recipe to work with. I went big because I’m not the only one eating them.
Don’t eat these in addition to your regular diet. They are more meant as a replacement, so that you are able to get the protein and other nutrients you need. For example, if you work out and can’t get the protein you need, eat one of these.
I eat one after my workout, on my way to work in the car, because they are easier than a protein shake, and I don’t have time to eat until a few hours later.